A group of museums from across the UK will be handing over their Instagram accounts to young people for the day – starting today.
We want to empower teenagers to make their voices heard and help museum professionals to see museums and heritage sites through the eyes of young people.
Since 2014, we have held an annual Teen Twitter Takeover Day in August. This year, for the first time, we are expanding the day to allow young people to take over all kinds of digital platforms, including ones they use regularly themselves. We are holding this Instagram Takeover Day as a pilot programme and will share our learnings to help more museums take part in our Teen Digital Takeover on Friday 16 August.
The museums taking part in our Instagram Takeover Day are:
- Cornwall Museums Partnership – from 18 February
- Dulwich Picture Gallery – 19 February
- Tullie House – 20 February
- People’s History Museum – 21 February
- Westminster Abbey – 22 February
- Wrexham Museum – 27 February
- Leeds City Museum – 28 February.
Teens will gain digital marketing skills, celebrate Commonwealth Family Day, explore current exhibitions and share their favourite museum objects through photo and film.